The Senior Buyer is responsible for the logistical strategic procurement of University goods and services, the request for proposal (RFP/RFI/RFQ) processes, and the sourcing and vendor qualification. The Senior Buyer is accountable for providing strategic sourcing initiatives and contract recommendations to the University based on procurement knowledge. The position requires a high degree of experience with contract negotiations, vendor relationship management, researching and analyzing data in accord with University policy and procedures.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Advise University departments of University policies, regulations and procedures for the procurement of goods and/or services.
• Analyze purchase requisitions for accuracy.
• Follow proper procedures and policies to obtain purchase authorizations.
• Investigate and cultivate new sources for supplies and products.
• Develop specifications and requests for quotations/proposals to facilitate the procurement of goods and services that meet users’ requirements at the most reasonable cost.
• Solicit bids or proposals from responsible bidders according to University policy. Responsible for providing award recommendations to appropriate staff.
• Issue bid requests to potential vendors and suppliers.
• Review quotes and secure the most competitive bids.
• Identify and select vendors/suppliers using criteria such as quantity and quality of commodities, price, and delivery date.
• Determine the correct method to process purchase requisitions. (e.g., total cost, timeliness, competitive bidding, and existing contracts.)
• Place orders to procure requisitioned items or services.
• Process purchasing transactions according to local, state, and federal policies and procedures.
• Resolve problems with orders in an efficient and timely manner.
• Cross train with other staff to provide support as needed or in the absence of other staff.
• Perform additional job related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
• Create, maintain and update One Card files for reference and to support reporting activities.
• Meet with University departments and vendors to evaluate photo copier needs and identify new/replacement equipment accordingly. Monitor the use and age of existing equipment to determine when replacement and/or an upgrade is needed.
• Create and update vendor files (W-9 and ACH) in appropriate computer programs to provide data and information to support Purchasing and Finance (payment) functions.
• Assist in developing and revising policies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective communication skills. Ability to multi-task, meet critical deadlines, and follow through on assignments. Proven ability to work well under pressure while maintaining accuracy and confidentiality. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with a wide variety of constituents. Proficiency using Microsoft Office.
Preferred: Experience using automated financial systems such as Ellucian Banner.
FLSA – This is an exempt position.